Friends of Grain Elevators

Superior

History

Currently open and operational at 140 Darrel Ave, Superior Terminal is one of the few elevators that has withstood the test of time and the changing of the grain trade. Part of a partnership between Cargill and Parrish and Heimbecker, Superior began operation in 1910 as the Grand Trunk Pacific elevator, an elevator that received notoriety due to a photograph of the building being used on a widely circulated European postcard (find photo, refer to) published by Valentine and Sons.

The elevator's sustainability can be contributed to the way it was built. When the elevator was being designed, architects made a point to construct an elevator that would support future additions. For example, at the beginning of its construction, the elevator's capacity during its starting years was 3,250,000 bushels, but the elevator was designed to support at least
60,000,000 bushels with future additions.

Cargill Elevator

Overview

Date of Opening:

Designer:

Builder:

Initial Owner:

Current Owner:

 

1910

R.H. Folwell

W.R. Sinks, John S. Metcalf

Grand Trunk Pacific

Parrish and Heimbecker

Capacity:

Piles:

Initial Railway Service:

Geographic Coordinates:

 

 

3,250,000 bushels (original) 176,020 metric tonnes (current)

-

Canadian Pacific

48.35495326646581, -89.23086985945702

 

 

Scroll to Top